Course ‘learn to surf’
You are interested in surfing and wish to take the first step in learning. Maybe you have already spent some days in surf camps; you are an advanced beginner and you wish to keep on riding waves and mastering the basic techniques? Our surf course “learn to surf” is for you !
– Depending on the surf conditions (tides, swell), we come to pick you up at your accommodation in the morning (10:30) or the afternoon (14:30). The time will be confirmed the day before by WhatsApp/sms for the first surf day. It lasts about 5-6 hours including the transfer.
– The surf course includes a training carver skateboard, the transfer to the beach, a warm up, exercises on the sand and in the water, a recovery break, an after surf stretching session to finish the session, and usually we end it with a free surf session.
– You will feel privileged as we do only 1 single group per day, without a fixed schedule and it is being more than a surf course, but also an enriching experience in human relations. We share with you our island lifestyle as well as our ideas on a sustainable life, environment preservation and care of yourself with sport and healthy food.
– The theory is often given around a table while you enjoy delicious smoothies/coffee on the way back to Corralejo. Also, at the end of the week, there is often a lunch or dinner where we take surf pictures analyses so you can watch the footage while receiving feedback to improve your performance !
– You only need to bring your beach gear, water & some food (possibility of buying food at a backery in the village of Lajares on the way to the beach) ! The instructor gives you your material and looks after all administrative tasks.
Your personalised course
Your instructor who is a pro surfer & a lifeguard supervises and trains you in English in a small group (max 6 students/instructor).
At ASA we take every client’s needs seriously. The teaching is adapted to the personal needs and abilities of every course participant.
Due to his academic approach, you teacher does not show you any easy but unrealistic Pop up techniques that is common in the surfing industry. Instead, as in all other sports, he teaches you to get on your feet like the best surfers in the world.
In cases of physical limitations, he adapts the techniques but always keep the focus on the correct technique of great surfers.
Moreover, he adapts to your learning rhythm and makes sure the safety of the spot is optimal for your surf tuition.
1 day beginner
On the first day, your level is evaluated.
You learn all about watersafety, how to catch white water waves in the prone position and then your first take off.
Your program includes a lot of simulation land exercises, as it is proven in sport science that the most efficient learning process is through repetition to build up muscle memory, to develop automation of movements so that you progress faster. You also have a skateboard session to improve your balance.
The session always starts with a proper warm up and it finishes with a cool down and stretching, to ameliorate the recovery and lower the risks of injuries.
A carver skateboard session is integrated into your surf course.
Skateboarding is a valuable tool to improve your balance and your posture on the surfboard. The feeling on the carver is very similar to the feeling in a wave and during the skating session you can improve and automatise your movements for the water ! Beginners will improve their balance and get a feeling for the whole body movements used in surfing. They also benefit from a development of their coordination, and building up of their confidence for the coming tasks in the water.
3 days beginner
You follow the 1 day beginner lesson and then establish your take off technique so you can stand frequently and ride the white water wave. Following this, you learn how to trim the board for speed and perform the first turn
We give constant feedback to the students; every single wave is observed and commented on in a motivating but correcting way. To do so, we mainly use a frontal teaching from the beach.
5 day beginner
You complete the 3 day beginner lesson including trimming the board, turning your board, and surfing sideways in the white water. Then we bring you to the line up to help you get your first unbroken wave !
You can also consult our page “Info Academy” or/and contact us directly !
COMBO COURSE + RENTAL : We offer our students adv. beginners the possibility of renting boards & wetsuit to use for the day with transfer to the beach with the students of the class. It is a good option if you have already followed the 3 or 5 day beginner surf course with aloha and you want to keep practicing your surf, before going on your own to the waves ! EXCLUSIVITY FOR THE ALOHA ACADEMY STUDENTS ONLY!